Cleanse toxic habits in 2015
As the new year approaches, some people take on individual challenges, whether those are to lose weight, stop smoking or begin a new workout routine. It’s an attempt to kick-start a new set of habits that can set the tone for years to come and make for a healthier and happier life.
Taking a holistic approach to health and wellness and assessing which toxic habits to cleanse from day-to-day activities is a great step toward personal renewal. Extreme steps or short-term fads usually won’t change habits. It’s important to start with the right frame of mind and understand that starting anew takes time.
Tips for Renewal
Mannatech’s health and wellness experts have provided a few tips to getting your 2015 renewal off to a strong and healthy start.
- Eat things that don’t last. Clean out your pantry of processed foods. Adding fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats and a moderate amount of lean meat and fish to your diet, while removing processed or fast foods, is a smart and simple first step.
- Exercise. You don’t have to plunk down hundreds of dollars for a gym membership. Studies show that even three 10-minute increments of a day of moderate exercise, such as a brisk walk, may make a big difference in overall health.1
- Bite down on the sweet tooth. For some, reaching for a cookie, candy or cupcake satisfies their sweet tooth. But, before you dive headfirst into a sugar-packed processed treat, think about the alternatives. Replacing candy with dried fruit that contains natural sugars, fiber and other nutrients is a better choice and will help satisfy the need for sweets.
- Rest your way to wellness. Insomnia has been linked to a host of health issues including higher risk of heart problems, psychological distress including anger and depression, as well as loss of productivity at work.2 If you have sleep problems, try to reset your sleep habits by setting a consistent bedtime, eliminating caffeine, alcohol and distractions such as smartphones before bedtime. If your problems persist, see your healthcare provider.
- More meals, not less. This may seem a bit counterintuitive, but skipping meals may lead to binge eating and make it difficult to set new habits. Instead, schedule and stick to a routine of healthy meals that consist of non-processed foods and drinks.
- Kick the soda can to the curb. This should be one of the first habits cleansed from your life, considering that one soda packs about 10 teaspoons of sugar. Replace sodas with unsweetened tea, carbonated water or just plain water! Diet sodas are not a recommended alternative, as artificial sweeteners come with their own set of troubling health issues.3
Pace, don’t punish.
As you start your renewal for 2015, remember to take it at your own pace and don’t punish yourself with difficult routines that cannot be sustained. Mannatech products can help support your health and wellness as you cleanse yourself of toxic habits and build a new you for the new year.
Learn about Mannatech’s Refresh and Rejuvenate for Life 30-day purification program. Visit http://us.mannatech.com/promotions/refresh-rejuvenate-life/.
Follow us on Pinterest for great cleansing ideas!