How Proactive Are You in Protecting Your Skin?
There are three types of people when it comes to protecting the skin – which type are you?
- Type A – Rigorously wears sunscreen, uses a facial cleanser, toner, moisturizer, night cream, eye cream and serum daily
- Type B – Follows a less strict facial skincare regimen, using some of the above techniques on a less frequent basis
- Type C – Uses minimal techniques and protection
Experts suggest beginning a consistent skincare regimen in our early twenties. If you, like many of us, do not follow a consistent skincare regimen, you may be experiencing signs of premature aging. Because no matter which type you are, in order to prevent signs of premature aging, you must be proactive in protecting your skin.
First Signs of Aging
- Dry, less elastic skin – As we age, our skin loses its elasticity and less collagen is produced. According to the Dartmouth Undergraduate Journal of Science (DUJS), “After the age of 20, one percent less of collagen is produced in the dermis each year.” The skin can become dry and dull, which makes the appearance of fine lines more noticeable.
- Fine lines – Inelastic and brittle skin eventually leads to wrinkles. DUJS also notes that “In our twenties, the skin’s exfoliation process decreases by 28 percent as well, causing dead skin cells to accumulate and stick together for longer periods of time. In our thirties, the transfer of moisture from the dermis to the epidermis is slowed and fat cells start to shrink.”
- Dark under eye circles – As the skin thins, including the fragile skin around the eyes, dark circles may become more apparent, which can make us look older.
Do you experience any of the first signs of aging? If so, it’s time to take control of your skincare regimen. If you’re not yet experiencing these signs, read on to learn about the invisible signs.
Invisible Signs of Aging
- Free radicals, which cannot be seen, are highly reactive molecules generated naturally by our bodies. It is believed that the more we have, the faster our skin can show signs of age and the faster we can look older. They can damage collagen and elastin fibers and even DNA, causing our skin to appear older than we really are.
- Chronic exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light, invisible rays from the sun, break down collagen and speed up the appearance of aging.
- Excessive alcohol use, which doesn’t appear to affect the skin immediately, dehydrates the skin causing dryness and wrinkling.
Proactively Protect Yourself
No matter which type of skincare regimen you have now or if you’re experiencing the early signs of aging, invisible factors can affect all of us. It’s not too late to take control of your skincare regimen and fight back against the appearance of aging.
Here’s how you can fight back against the signs of aging:
- Follow a consistent skincare regimen – Be sure you’re cleansing and exfoliating the skin on a regular basis while hydrating and protecting the skin from the sun. Mannatech’s Generation Ūth™ Skincare System includes a facial cleanser, moisturizer and its revolutionary age-fighting Ūth Rejuvenation Crème, which helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Incorporate antioxidants into your diet – An antioxidant is a substance that can inhibit oxidation and may protect the body from the effects of free radicals. Supplements providing mixtures of sensibly dosed antioxidant nutrients appear to be the most effective at exerting antioxidant effects. Mannatech’s Ambrotose AO® capsules provide a blend of antioxidant ingredients for maximum benefit and is one of the most effective supplements containing sensible amounts of antioxidant nutrients on the market today.*
- Take fish oil – By adding Omega-3 fatty acids into your diet you can help support your brain, cardiovascular and heart health, which in turn promotes an overall healthier you. Mannatech’s Omega-3 with Vitamin D3 capsules gives you the Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D you need to support healthy triglyceride levels within the normal range and can help you maintain a healthy immune system.*