Make 2015 Your Year to Build Big!
Yes, it’s time to make those resolutions … the changes we promise to commit to do. You know the ones — eat healthier, get more exercise, write that book. And, the list goes on.
Some of them we stick with … others, well, not so much. Have you resolved to do things that will contribute to your success? Here are some powerful, yet simple, resolutions you may actually be able to accomplish this year.
- Communicate more and in more ways. As a leader, it’s so important that the message you convey is actually received. Did they get the email you sent? Did you follow up? Resolve to communicate more frequently and in different ways. Get on the social media bandwagon. Pay attention to the words you use in your writing. Ask questions. Above all, make sure your message drives action.
- Write your goals on paper. Have you ever set a goal only to later not remember exactly what it was? This resolution will keep that from ever happening again! A study conducted on the 1979 Harvard MBA program where graduate students were asked “have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” The result, only 3% had written goals and plans, 13% had goals but they weren’t in writing and 84% had no goals at all. Ten years later, the same group was interviewed again and the result was absolutely mind-blowing. The 13% of the class who had goals, but did not write them down was earning twice the amount of the 84% who had no goals. The 3% who had written goals were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97% of the class combined! This study only looks at earnings to quantify success, but it’s still a motivating example of why writing down clear goals is a key to success.1
- Listen more. “Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force” writes Brenda Ueland in her essay, Tell Me More: On The Fine Art of Listening. The people who “really listen to us are the ones we move toward, and want to sit in their radius as though it did us good.” A true listener is believed, is more effective and learns more in the end.
- Slow down and reflect. HubSpot cofounder and CEO Brian Halligan said, “I’m going to try to ‘think more and work less. Breaking the cycle of email, meetings, and to-do lists is hard, but I’m trying to nap and meditate as much as possible. I’ll have dozens of mediocre ideas and one or two really good ones. Invariably, those really good ones come to me when I’m on the way in or out of a nap or while I’m trying to clear my head while meditating.”2 Learning to meditate may give you a clearer vision on exactly how you want to live your life, and where you can simplify.
- Learn something new. It can be related to your business or not. Learning something new will add to your skills and add a new dimension of interest to your life. You may meet new and interesting people, who may become customers, colleagues, or friends.
What are your resolutions for success? We’d love to hear them. In 2015, find new ways to challenge yourself. It will take dedication, but you’ll see these things turn into habits that will last longer. And, stay tuned for some exciting new tools coming your way to help you fulfill your goals.